Posted by Jeff Pauls on 28th Apr 2020
Your Local Farmer’s Market
When it’s prudent to venture out again, there will be many things we’ll want to do. Buying fresh produce from a roadside market will be one of those things. Seasonal fruits and vegetables will only increase from now into summer. A number of vegetables (and one fruit) are most likely available in our area either right now or soon. See the list below for the vegetables that should be available somewhere close to you. This list is for people living in PA. If you live elsewhere, I suggest you start here for a comparable list. (By the way, that last link includes some great seasonal recipes.)
- Cabbage (May)
- Onions (May)
- Peas (May)
- Potatoes (ending in April)
- Radishes (May)
In addition to the joy of fresh, local produce, it’s also time to get outside and get into your flower beds and gardens. The list below is a great place to start if you have the urge to get outside.
- Keep ahead of the weeds.
- Turn the compost.
- Sharpen Tools
- Test and amend your soil
- Prune flowering shrubs when they finish blooming.
- Plant and divide perennials
A number of our partners will be opening soon or are already open. In addition to their own produce, many of them sell our cider and our fruit. The list below includes just a few of the many businesses with whom we do business. Stop by and see what they have! Some of them offer not only edibles but also offer plants and gardening related items.
- Good Harvest Farms - Opening March 16, with locations in Strasburg and Wayne, PA, “Good Harvest Farms is a fresh market grower of fruit, vegetables, hydroponic lettuce, herbs, and flowers. They offer a range of locally grown, fresh produce. Additionally, they have plants and gardening accessories available.
- Harvest Lane Farm Market - Open year round, Harvest Lane Farm Market is located in Lititz, PA. Not only is their produce fresh and local, customers can choose from at least 5 types of milk. Thom’s bread and Olio olive oils are also available. Harvest Lane has many other high quality grocery items on hand, including their own locally grown beef.
- Village Farm Market - Open year round, Village Farm Market is located in Ephrata, PA. Specializing in homemade baked goods, delicious gift baskets and trays for any event, they also carry locally grown produce along with a variety of other grocery items. While you’re there, take care of your gardening needs right next door at the Village Farm Garden Center.
- Cherry Hill Orchards - Open year round, be sure to check out the Cherry Hill Orchard Outlet. Located in New Danville, PA, Cherry hill also offers u-pick of various in-season tree fruits. Shop the outlet for local produce and a number of other grocery items.
- Oxford Farm Market - There are many different vendors to enjoy at Oxford Farm Market, located in Oxford, PA. Open year round, be sure to stop on any Thursday, Friday, or Saturday for a variety of wonderful things to buy. Make sure you visit Sunrise Produce, and tell them Kauffman’s sent you!
- The Garden Shoppe - Open year round, The Garden Shoppe, located in Strafford, PA, is a gardening outlet and offers superb produce. Garden gifts and supplies are especially plentiful. While you’re there, pick up a beautiful bouquet from their floral design shop.